Antminer S5 w/ a Light Show

Got my S5 almost 2 weeks ago now & finished the last setup & mod task last night. Thought it would be good to share all the details here, both for those who are new to hardware mining & in case someone with more experience has a tip about something I missed. Here’s the state of the project this morning:

Is that psychedelic or what?

Power source is a 1000W Seasonic Gold PSU that I picked up at Amazon for $150. Yes, there are cheaper PSU’s but I learned the value of clean power a long time ago & would never use something less than Gold. Almost got a 660W Platinum Seasonic, but wanted the ability to overclock & there might not be enough juice for a good pop up. Base wattage of the S5 running at default 350 MHZ is about 600W.

First thing I did was set it all up, turn it on and point it at BTC Guild, a nice stable pool with good I/O. Only downside there is it’s relatively small and subject to big swings in luck. Everything ran great at first, but the S5 fan is one of the loudest ever, with really nasty dissonant harmonics. Taking the finger screen off didn’t help much. New fans ahoy!

I also found that every time I used the remote interface it would somehow screw up the Hashrate. My unit came with a mid-December firmware version and upgrading to the Jan 7 firmware solved that problem. Upgrading was simple, you just download the tar.gz file from Bitmain & use the interface to import it; no need to open the archive. Be sure to back up your setup before you upgrade, just in case!

At this stage of the process I had a miner that was hashing at a steady, stable rate.

Next Up: New Fans.

The only people who won’t want to replace the fan on an S5 are the deaf. Seriously, it’s not just the volume level, it’s the dissonant nails on chalkboard harmonic. I went hunting around at BitcoinTalk for some clues and picked two fans for a push / pull setup.

Rear push fan is Noctua SSO2 Bearing 3000 RPM PWM

This one is very quiet and plugs into the PWM ports on the S5. When you translate the metric output number you get ~106 CFM. You will have to use some nippers to remove a little ridge on the back of the plug, but that’s very simple.

Front pull fan is a Thermaltake Blue-Eye Silent case fan

This one plugs directly into your PSU with a Molex connector. Very simple to set up, it has a fan speed knob and you will need to put it on max flow. It moves about 97 CFM.

Key thing is the four screws you’ll need for the front fan: they’re #4 metric, and should be about 40 mm (1 1/2 inches) long. While you’re at the hardware store get 8 small rubber washers & 8 metal washers, that’ll help cut down on sound transmission. The metal washer goes next to the screw head to keep from trashing the rubber washer.

If I had to make a fan choice now I’d get two of the Noctua fans. They are slightly more quiet than the Thermaltake and I’m already sick of the psychedelic party effect.

Next Up: Clock Speed

Deciding how to set your clock speed is a personal preference. Some are willing to risk an early burnout to get some extra hash, others will want to underclock to reduce noise and power use. Bitmain gives you very clear guidelines on temperature range: ideal internal temp is 50C and max recommended internal temp is 60C.

After replacing that big loud fan with two smaller ones, I noticed that the temp went up from 50C to about 62C. Two factors influence the temp: clock speed and ambient temperature. Those temps were with an ambient of 74F, if you’re not in the US I’ll let you do the conversion to metric.

I decided to underclock to get below the 60C threshold. After stepping down incrementally from 350 mhz I found that 325 mhz did the job. At that setting power use dropped to 545 watts.

I also decided to do a two week burn-in run on the Antminer pool. If any pool should match up well in I/O terms it should be the one Bitmain runs.

Here’s my status screen as of this morning:

I’m generating about .0105 BTC per day with these settings, dependent of course on Antpool luck. It’s about 3X larger than BTC Guild, so the luck swings aren’t too bad. After the burn-in I’ll probably switch over to WestHash / NiceHash, they usually pay a little better than straight pool mining.

If you have any questions let me know!

Nice one, looks awesome! Get hashing! :slight_smile:

Thanks for this write up! The S5 is going to be a purchase of mine in the near future, was nice to read about it first hand from a fellow forum member.

I am going to be throwing mine in the basement so the noise is not as much of an issue.

What are you running the S5 with? Will it work with a RPi?

It comes plug & play, w/ remote interface. Just insert net cable. I used a mac utility “iNet Network Toolbox” to give me a router map & logged in locally to the miner IP address. Very simple to get running.

Looks good, hopefully they release that remote access fix soon :+1:

It was fixed in the January 7 firmware release. Sorry I wasn’t more clear about that. The unit goes on hashing fine after using the remote interface screens now.

Hey @UnbornZ, looks awesome :smile:

I am thinking of buying 2 of these to run at home as I miss mining. I also have installed solar power at my house since I last had hardware miners so should be able to keep them profitable for a lot longer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What pool are you mining with? What are payouts like for a full 24 hours with 1 S5?

Antpool is about .012 per day

Very nice. For how long is the S5 to be profitable?

Longer than almost any other ASIC miner, probably similar to the newest Spondoolies units. The actual length of time will depend on fluctuations in mining difficulty, the price of Bitcoin, and energy. At these relatively low levels I expect break even will take about 9 months.

Could anyone help me out here? I got my antminer s5 yesterday along with my power supply and I set it all up and turned it on. I got a pretty big surprise when I looked on the control panel, and found this… http://prntscr.com/69f76q It is only hashing at 300gh right now which is really far off from the 1150 that it is advertised at. I thought that it might have to warm up or something like that so I let it run all day today and it still is sitting around the 300-500 gh mark. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152048 There is the power supply I use. I have the antminer plugged into the wall and connected with an ethernet cable right next to the router. I don’t understand why I’m not getting the correct hash rate. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am pretty frustrated with this thing. :confused:

Diff can be your problem. try port 8888 instead of 9999

Did that and here is what it looks like now. http://prntscr.com/69fciz The hash rate has gone up but still not near what I want it to be at.

give it 10 minutes, tell me if you see a change, looks like that port is vardiff, give it a moment to catch up. If it’s still low post here, i’ll help each time i have a free moment

So after about 15 mins the hashing went all the way down to 250gh/s so I decided to switch over to BTC guild to see if that fixed anything and it is still sitting at 250-500gh. Still very low.

that seems odd

Try it on nicehash / westhash
stratum+tcp://stratum.westhash.com:3334#xnsub

Also play with your clock setting, try 375Mhz, sweep spot for mine.

I submitted a ticket on Bitmain Support so I’m not going to post here anymore. Thanks for trying to help but none of these things have worked for me.