International: Research Questions From Allen :)

Hello Everyone.

This thread is more for my personal use, to research areas of international labour laws and regulations, but also to get some demographic material from everyone on their interest in international freelance opportunities. As many are aware already, I am slowly developing a new add-on business model that focuses on a global labour market, oriented around time-based, professional performance contracts. I will be running polls here over time. Your participation is highly appreciated. :smiley:

Edit: Moved to Global Economy by moi.

First question:

How many of you have participated in virtual, temp-based freelance work that was not in your own country? Can you give a brief description of your work experience in this area? Did you feel the compensation was below, the same, or above average for your line of work? Was the experience positive, negative, or what you expected in your normal work capacity?

Thank you.

Allen

I have. I’m a member at http://www.utest.com which is basically a site to beta test new apps, websites for the usability, new products and so on. It’s a pretty decent site. I’m a member on another site similar to Utest as well but they haven’t send me any invites recently so I kinda can’t think of their name atm.

Utest’s compensation model is very decent. Since you receive invites based on your skills and on your previous test results you can end up getting a pretty decent pay for rather easy work. Writing, a good mic and knowing how to do acceptable screen casts is a big plus.

I also used to be active on oDesk but gave up on that site. You simply can’t compete with certain nationalities on work such as web design and co. Once you get offered $3.50 / hour (or less) it’s time to move on.

Actually, this is very interesting input, because I had forgotten about these types of websites. I will have to visit the one and see how they have it laid out at present. :slight_smile: Thanks for the input!

oDesk was great a few years ago and I figured uTest is still within the “freelance” range, kinda :slight_smile:

Having written and contributed to Open Source software I have done various bits of paid work to modify such for people. I’ve always come to a private agreement and only charge on completion of the work and never had a problem - most international customers prefer to pay by PayPal since they can use their local currency. Since I always retain ownership of the resulting code (even if I choose to subsequently give it away) the risk of a chargeback or non-payment isn’t a huge concern to me though.

I’m kind of lucky that I don’t generally tout for work as I always have enough to keep me going without having to go out and actively look for it (and as a result I have a website that’s about 3 years out of date!).

I am glad you brought up the payment part, as it is one of the main elements of my research. If everyone can pay in a local currency, but the worker is paid in their own currency, without losing value in the inter-bank or money transmitter service to convert the currencies, then there is an advantage to the system that fosters more internationalization of virtual work teams. Thanks for the information! :slight_smile:

Yes the whole currency conversion thing is a huge PITA. I found it interesting that one guy I did some work for was in Vietnam and paid in USD. Probably was their only option given that PayPal likely doesn’t (or didn’t) support the dong!

The payment part is indeed interesting. I used to hire developers too and payment was usually somewhat of a hassle depending on their own location, the services available to them and their means to exchange USD (for example) to their local currency. Back then I tried to convince some of them to accept BTC as payment but it wasn’t very convenient from them.

In addition if you hire a freelancer through a site like oDesk for example they obviously want their fees / commission which is USD. I ended up having to make some backdoor deals with some developers by contracting them for a rather small task through oDesk and then deal with them off site for the actual project. Bear in mind that I didn’t do that to screw oDesk out of their commission but merely to be able to pay the developer for his work by the means available to him (Western Union, MoneyGram etc).

These methods are costly. This is why I am focusing on each country’s laws, as well as whether there is a crypto exchange accessible to most freelancers. If you create the interface in such a matter that crypto can be used, then you solve a lot of the cost structures that can take a substantial portion of the freelancer’s earnings, while also allowing them relatively easy access or transferability of their funds to their banking accounts. Moreover, using a stable crypto can afford the freelancer the ability to keep their funds in a transferable form, adding the possibility of a rechargeable debit card to use their funds daily, without actually repatriating their foreign-earned revenues. I know, this all sounds familiar, but that is also why I am in the early stages of the project development. :slight_smile:

The sites bellow might be of interest to you.

Thanks Andy !! I will check them out! :slight_smile:

Not sure if you’ve come across Ziptask it’s another relatively new freelancing site.

Thanks. I was not aware of them. Most of the freelance websites seem to be mostly U.S. oriented.

I can see they have the same idea as I have. I wonder how they are actually marketing it…

Greece Economy & Currency - Euro, Drachma, Crypto