Solar Power

Starting this thread as there seems to be a big interest in solar power set ups here on the forum. I know I am looking at getting a set up started in the near future and would love to hear and see other’s experiences with the matter. All tips and tricks are welcomed as well.

I have a few details to share, but I have to find all the relevant documents.
I’ll be back, to coin a phrase.

Just a fun fact, I live in the county that has the most In-State Wholesale Renewable Projects On-Line and third most energy produced.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/renewables/tracking_progress/documents/renewable.pdf

There’s a Crypto asset called Solar Farm ( ticker: CELL) that’s doing well on coinmarketcap.com. I was considering investing in it.

Here’s some info:

http://www.thewiring.com/?p=1356

https://asset.cryptomining.farm/

https://asset.cryptomining.farm/overview-cell

https://asset.cryptomining.farm/overview-hash

https://asset.cryptomining.farm/asset-hash

https://asset.cryptomining.farm/asset-cell

Very scammy looking ROI numbers
Offering affiliate payments.
At the end of the forum link you just posted, he seems to have trouble posting actual pictures.

Not going to end well.

You might have seen my solar installation on the other thread, but here it is again :

That comprises 16 panels rated at 250W each, for a total capacity of 4kW.

I live in the South West of the Uk. Torbay in Devon to be precise.
Ideally the panels should face south to get the most exposure time, but ours face west.

This is not too much of a problem as for much of the year, the sun spends more time in that quadrant of the sky. Also, we live by the coast, which is about 1.5 miles from the other side of the photo above. This causes local weather like mist that can hide the sun for a few hours every day in the mornings.

So west facing is better than east, and we have no facility for south facing anyway.

Apparently these panels do not need direct sunlight to work, but I think that is largely marketing, as until the sun gets quite high and shines on the panels directly, we only get a dribble of power. This can be monitored using the supplying companies “portal”. The solar generation meter and inverter are wifi enabled and talks to a remote server.

Here’s a typical portal shot :

The top row shows live figures, probably self explanatory. They don’t match the graph because I have selected yesterdays output graph to illustrate the daily power “curve”.

As you can see, the maximum figure generated yesterday was 3240 W at around 13:40 GMT+1
It was a good day yesterday. Total generated was 20.1kW. Not every day is this good, but as the seasons change it should wax and wane. Some days we generate less than 1kW total.

Anyhoo, that’s the basic set up. I’ve been trying to find the relevant technical papers but my partner “files” things :wink:

My interest is in the mining opportunity here.

We had these panels fitted around Jan 8th. There is not much sun at that time of year. However, we got a payment from our energy supplier at the end of March. This is the end of the financial quarter and we received £190 for our generated power.
That might not seem a lot for nearly 3 months, but they only pay us for half of what we generate. Which means we actually generated £380 over less than a quarter, and at the worst season for generation.

We don’t have an export meter (most private installations don’t). So the power company pay us half the generated amount, regardless of our usage. There is a small govt. subsidy too, per unit generated.

So, being anxious to get “Good Value for Money” I thought that I could run miners right up to the full capacity of the panels and not have to pay power.
It doesn’t quite work out like that. I have to use creative accounting.

Power costs 0.11 per kW
Miner (S5) uses 590W costing £1.56 per day
Miner generates around 0.015 or £2.28

I put to one side the money for the power used. Over a quarter this would amount to £140.40.

When we get our feed in payment, we get maybe another £190, possibly more.
So the miner has actually generated 205.20 and cost nothing to run plus we have been paid for the pleasure. We also have only used less than half the possible generating capacity. As long as we generate enough on average to cover a miners monthly consumption, we don’t pay any power costs. Of course it gets dark. We will still get an electricity bill for that. But most of it is gravy.
You start to ROI in 3 months on an S5 costing £300, as long as BTC prices stay above $240.

It can be scaled to more than one miner. We are essentially getting free electricity, being paid for half of it AND free mining. No limits other than generating capacity. Mining is more affordable under these circumstances. However, even free power can’t bring some hardware back to economic life.

Please feel free to point out glaring logical errors in my math or thinking. IS it too good to be true ?

[edit] Changed “I pay the power bill from the miner” to “I put to one side the money for the power used”

[edit 2] I ought to point out that if bitcoin prices drop so that the miners don’t make any profit, this essentially becomes a crypto related piggy bank. I put what I would have spent on power away for later use. But my partner likes to see the miners paying their way power wise so that’s how I think about it. Plus it’s good to keep an eye on the profit/power cost relationship.

My example above relates to one S5. I could probably use two within the energy budget and double the payout.

Things change if I can get hold of a Titan :wink:

Using some figures from a while back :

Assumptions :
BTC is £182
Nicehash are paying 0.2202/GH/s
Titan plays nice with Nicehash at 300MH/s !

Daily gross income for Titan@1200W = 0.06606 = £12.02

Quarterly income using solar :

(£12.02x90) + £190 = £1271.80

There should be no effect on our usual energy bill, in fact it may well be lower on average.

Need a Titan now !

Anyone with an answer to this?

I’m looking to add solar to my house but I’d need a scalable solution - start small and build as time passes - modular solution… Any pertinent URLs that have pricing would be appreciated. Ultimately, I’m going to scale up to an 8KwH installation…

TIA!

http://www.solarpowersystem.cc/ The prices are reasonable I have been looking at them for a while now for when i get into my own home. Though the prices are w/o shipping or batteries.

Nice! I was looking for a good site like this.

Woo Hoo ! My solar has just reached a total of 1 MWh. It’s taken 3.5 months to get there but hey, this is England :smile:

This screenshot was taken at about 10am, which accounts for the low figures on the left.

To put things in context, here’s the chart for the year so far —

Hey Root,

The problem with scaling up is the inverter costs and string allocation. If you go with a smaller system now with micro inverters eventually you will need to have a full size string inverter to handle that big of a load. The inverters can be overcharged about 18% or so. I believe 12 (maybe 10)panels need to be on a string for one panel to not bring all the others down when production dips. An example would be that I have a 8.9KW system on one inverter that maxes out direct power output somewhere around 7600-7700 w (so far). If I were to want more power, I would need a second inverter and new layout or use microinverters to accomplish the rest. Keep in mind also that you will lose a small amount of production each year so it’s a good thing to be over your inverter output in the beginning.

So, you could go small now, but you will end up paying later to have them rewired onto proper strings and locations. I would definitely consult with a local installer to get the big picture. That’s my humble opinion but I am not a professional.

Here in my recent install!

The Pergola was built custom for the installation as well to accommodate the extra panels on the South side.

Right now it is mostly cloudy with rain and I am producing roughly 1700 W (at 7AM) as an example of how far the production can swing based on cloud cover and time of day.I have no problem hitting 7600 W with the sun out regardless of temp. Sun with cooler climates are also more efficient than sun with hot temperatures so being in the PNW may be an advantage for me here.

Yeah I tried my best to undervolt my 4 Sp31’s to fit under my solar cap…hehe…I can get them to about 6600-6800 W (If I’m doing math right) and pull 7600 W at peak as credits for night time use. With BTC prices low and power at .1109, running them undervolted 24/7 for now and using the solar to lower average costs works.